What To Do If Hurt On The Job 

Lakewood, Colorado Personal Injury Lawyer Serving Denver, Boulder, and Nearby Areas

Posted: March 26, 2024

Knowing what to do if you are hurt on the job is important. Reporting accidents quickly helps protect your rights and makes sure injuries are treated. The Frickey Law Firm has put together this guide to help you through this process.

Step 1: Let Your Boss Know

Be sure to notify your boss or manager about the injury. Give them a detailed account of what happened, including the date, time, and location of the incident. Try to do this in writing so you have a record of reporting the accident.

Step 2: Report your Injury in Writing

You should report your injury in writing within 10 days following an accident or injury. If you do not it may limit future payments in your claim. You should include information of when and where the injury occurred, what part of your body was hurt, and whether there were any witnesses and who you reported the injury to on that day. Be as specific as possible, as this information is very important.

Step 3: If Injured Go to the Doctor

If you are injured, go to the doctor, even if you don’t think it is a big deal. Sometimes injuries worsen over time if left untreated. Be sure to check with your employer to determine If there are doctors that you should see for a work injury. If it is after hours and you need care, emergency treatment should be covered by workers compensation. Keep track of all expenses, as these costs should be covered by worker’s compensation. Be sure to let your supervisor know about your doctor’s visits and treatment needs.

Step 4: Take Pictures of the Area

Take pictures of the accident area, including anything that may have caused the accident. If anyone saw the accident, try to get their contact information. Keep copies of any medical reports or information that are related to the injury.

Step 5: Know Your Rights

As an employee, you have rights and are protected by worker's compensation laws. If you were injured at work, you are entitled to compensation for those injuries. Contact the Frickey Law Firm to help explore next steps.