Winter may seem like the most dangerous season for driving. However, drivers actually face a higher risk of being hurt or killed in a car accident during the summer months. Here are five factors that make crashes more common in warmer weather:
- Teen drivers: High school and college-aged drivers tend to spend more time on the road when school is out for summer vacation. That leads to an uptick of inexperienced and immature drivers behind the wheel. Tragically, behaviors like talking to passengers and texting are behind a fair share of these preventable teen driving crashes.
- Alcohol: Summer means barbeques, concerts, and other events where alcohol is often served. Unfortunately, not everyone drinks responsibly. That is reflected in the fact that drunk driving accidents increase sharply between Memorial Day and Labor Day.
- Construction: Summer is building season across America. Road construction crews make use of longer and warmer days to get more work done. Work zone crashes are all too common and are often related to closed lanes, temporary signs, and traffic.
- Motorcycles and bicycles: Many people travel on two wheels this time of year. Everyone must follow the rules of the road and watch out for each other. Otherwise, serious and often fatal accidents can occur.
- Heat and sunshine: While summer weather may be more pleasant to drive in, it is not without risks. The heat can have a significant impact on your vehicle, increasing the chance of a tire blowout or an overheated engine that forces you to the side of the road. Meanwhile, the glare of the sun can pose problems for visibility.
Our attorneys hope that this information will help you stay safe this summer. If the worst happens, we will be there when you need us.
Injured in a Car Accident?
You shouldn’t have to handle serious injuries or extensive vehicle damage alone. Our attorneys can help you understand what options you may have for pursuing compensation.
Call 303-237-7373 today to schedule a free case evaluation at the Frickey Law Firm. We proudly serve clients from Lakewood, Denver, Boulder, and nearby areas of Colorado.