Dealing with an insurance adjuster after a motor vehicle accident can be overwhelming. You probably feel that they have the upper hand in the process of settling your claim. However, you have more control, more options, and more avenues for compensation than they want you to believe. Here are ten secrets that the insurance adjuster won’t share with you!
1. I didn’t cause this accident, but because of it I have suffered painful injuries requiring extensive medical treatment. Is it reasonable for me to expect significant compensation for what I am going through?
Because of their sense of fair play, most accident victims don’t realize that in addition to payment for medical bills, lost wages and car repairs, the insurance companies make significant compensation available for “pain and suffering.
2. I have received medical information releases from the insurance company adjuster. Should I sign them?
No. An unrestricted release for medical records should only be signed under limited circumstances. A personal injury attorney at THE FRICKEY LAW FIRM can evaluate what you have signed and revoke the signed releases that may jeopardize your case.
3. My medical bills are mounting and my good credit is being jeopardized. What can I do to stop possible lawsuits and judgments?
We can negotiate with creditors and help make arrangements to stop collection and pay your bills directly from the settlement.
4. In the past, we have used a general practice attorney for wills or real estate transactions. Is it really necessary to retain an attorney who only practices in accident/injury law?
The attorneys at The Frickey Law Firm work daily with numerous insurance companies and keep current with the specialized laws and regulations affecting accident cases. People don’t usually use their family doctor for brain surgery. In the same way, it makes sense to use an accident attorney who knows this area of law inside and out.
5. I was injured in an accident caused by an uninsured driver. My policy provides for underinsured and uninsured coverage, but I am confused about what claims are actually covered.
Because of the confusing nature of uninsured and underinsured coverage, few people understand what is available under their policies. Our experienced attorneys can advise you on what you can claim under your specific policy.
6. I was a passenger injured in an accident caused by a friend. Can I still recover without causing the driver financial hardship?
Yes. Even if the accident was caused by a friend or family member, the accident victim can usually be fully compensated. A claim can be made only for the limits of all available insurance policies.
7. If I hire an attorney, will my case require a jury trial?
Not usually. As experienced accident attorneys, we can generally get the highest value for your claim without the delay of a trial.
8. I thought about negotiating my claim on my own. How do I know if the insurance adjuster’s offer is fair and reasonable?
You don’t. The fair settlement value of your case may be worth several thousand dollars. Remember, the adjuster works for the insurance company and is paid to negotiate and settle your claim for the lowest amount of money. Our attorneys are tough, aggressive and experienced-and they only work for you! Based on other successful settlements, our accident attorneys will know the real value of your claim.
9. Why does the insurance adjuster recommend that I not hire an attorney?
Probably because insurance settlements handled without an attorney are usually significantly lower. As published in the Allstate Insurance Company Training Manual, people who hire an attorney may settle for as much as 3 TIMES THE MONEY than people who do not retain counsel. Many people make settling their claim a “do-it-yourself” project to try and save money. But why gamble? There is never an attorney fee unless we obtain a settlement for you.
10. Can the insurance adjuster limit the medical treatment I receive? I don’t have a family doctor, and I believe I need specialized medical treatment.
The insurance company is legally obligated to compensate you for reasonable and necessary medical treatment with the best medical care available, up to the limits of the policy. If needed, we can assist you in finding appropriate medical care. We can make delayed payment arrangements for those who have no health insurance.
Schedule Your Complimentary Consultation
The skilled attorneys at the Frickey Law Firm have served clients in personal injury cases for over 50 years. Call us today at 303-237-7373 to schedule a complimentary consultation. We represent clients in Lakewood, Boulder, Denver, and nearby areas of Colorado.